Critical Distance Centre for Curators is currently seeking a Part-time Gallery Assistant!
Job Title: Gallery Assistant
Posted Tuesday, April 6th
Tuesday, April 27th, 5pm
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Start Date: Immediately
Part-time, Fixed-term contract
3-month probationary period
12-18 hours per week (including 2 gallery attending shifts, one of which must be Sat or Sun; additional hours available on occasion, some evenings required for special events)
$18 per hour to start, with room for negotiation after probationary period
Critical Distance Centre for Curators (CDCC) is a not-for-profit gallery, publisher, platform, and partner supporting curatorial community, discourse, and production across disciplines and beyond borders of all kinds.
As an independent curator-led initiative, our mission springs from the interests, motivations and methodologies of contemporary curatorial practice, foregrounding critical inquiry, collaboration, and experimentation in making new connections between artists, art forms, ideas, images, objects, environments, and audiences.
The Gallery Assistant will work both independently and collaboratively with the CDCC Team, Board of Directors, Programming Committee, and guest curators, artists, and other participants/partners/contributors to implement communications, operations, and support programming initiatives and events. This is a key position for the right person with high potential for growth and an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of the organization in collaboration with a passionate, dedicated, and caring team.
Key Projects and Tasks
– Working in collaboration with Programs Coordinator to draft and implement communications updates and social media posts on a regular schedule (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
– Gallery attending, appointment making, and visitor reception/engagement
– In-gallery and online bookshop and library inventory/catalogue updates: including consignment, database management, and promotion
– Fielding inquiries and providing information to public as needed
– Assisting with exhibition installation, activation, maintenance, and strike
– Providing programming and special events support
– Gallery/office administration including organizing, filing, maintaining space/equipment
– Providing support as needed to CDCC team (Access and Education Programs Director, Programs Coordinator, Office Manager, Founding Director)
– Providing support on grant writing and other fundraising initiatives
– Assisting with research as needed (governance, organizational, programming/curatorial, fundraising, etc)
– Attending weekly team meetings, taking/distributing/archiving notes and documents
– Post-secondary degree and/or equivalent work experience in related field (arts administration, curatorial studies, arts education, etc)
– Proven social media and communications competence/effectiveness in a professional context
– Ability to work independently (i.e., there will be some solo gallery shifts, some remote-working for certain tasks/projects), and be responsible, punctual, responsive, and proactive)
– Ability to work collaboratively (i.e., follow instructions, ask questions, make constructive suggestions, communicate clearly, and be open to feedback)
– Excellent speaking/writing and organizational skills; must be personable, detail oriented, and able to manage time effectively
– Proficiency in Google Apps, Shopify, Mailchimp, and a Mac environment is recommended
– Knowledge of the not-for-profit Canadian arts sector/context, and keen interest in curating, exhibition-making, and contemporary art a plus
– Interest in, or knowledge of our program and mission, and desire to learn and grow with our organization a huge plus